Features,  Lifestyle,  VenusMaxisFeed

Is Your Home Safe From Electric Shocks or Fire?

Electricity can kill. Beware of the danger in your home!

We all rely on electricity to get on with our daily lives. From the moment we wake up right through the day and down to sleeping time, electricity plays a big part in our day-to-day living. Hence, it is no surprise that when something becomes so familiar, we tend to forget how powerful and dangerous it can potentially be.

We are now using more and more electrical appliances than before. What, with all the gadgets like mobile phone, Tab, TV, DVD player, microwave and etc we have in the house? The risk of electrical accidents is higher now than ever.

So it pays to be alert, most especially in your home even though you may think nothing could ever happen. The below may sound like common sense but you’d be surprised that many of us still fail to actually follow basic safety rules.

Warning signs

The first indication that something is wrong would be burning smells, buzzing or crackling sounds, fuses blowing or circuit breakers tripping. These are all signs of loose wiring or other electrical problems.

Damaged appliances

There’s a greater chance of electrical accidents occurring when equipment is damaged or misused. Look out for plugs, sockets or cables that are not working properly which can cause electric shocks, burns and fires. Cables should not feel hot or use in close proximity to heat sources where it could melt.

Overloading

We are all guilty of plugging too many electrical appliances into one socket and even extension cord. This can lead to overheating. Avoid adaptor that are not approved by SIRIM and keep in mind that extension cord is meant for temporary use only.

Safety fitting

Water and electricity are a lethal combination. So the best thing to do is to install electrical equipment correctly and use appliances with care. Make sure that sockets and switches are fitted at a safe distance (at least 30cm horizontally) from water outlet.

Kitchen

This area of the house is particularly susceptible to accidents. The hazardous recipe of water, hot surfaces, flexible cables and electricity can lead to untold mishap. Check that appliances are in good working condition and never use any equipment/switches with wet hands.

Bathroom

Electric shocks are far more severe in the bathroom as wet skin reduces the body’s resistance. Avoid splashes from the bath or sink onto the sockets, make sure water heater is not malfunctioning, keep shavers/hairdryers away in dry area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *