Would you blame your goldfish or your husband?
We’re all a little guilty of leaving our tax submissions to the last minute every now and again usually due to hectic schedules or..let’s be honest, just plain laziness.
However, some British people have come up with creative excuses for why their tax return is late, as reported by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) in the UK.
In no particular order, they are:
1. “My pet goldfish died.” – Self-employed builder
2. “I had a run-in with a cow.” – Farmer
3. “After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else.” – A woman in London
4. “My wife won’t give me my mail.” – Self-employed trader
5. A hairdresser claims her husband told her a late deadline, and she believed it.
6. “I’ve been far too busy with my play!” – A writer who claims to have been busy touring the country with his one-man play
7. A taxi driver said that his bad back made him unable to walk up the stairs to where his tax return was.
8. “I’m on my yacht too much.” – A man said that he had been cruising around the world on his yacht so much, that he only picks up his letters when he’s on dry land.
9. “Our business doesn’t really do anything.” – A financial services firm
10. “I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns.” – An accountant.
What does the HMRC have to say about this?
“There will always be unforeseen events that mean a taxpayer could not file their tax return on time. However, your pet goldfish passing away isn’t one of them.”
Source: Huffington Post