All of us want to maximise our body’s fat burning potential as much as we can because if it’s possible, why not?
The thing with metabolism, it can be an odd thing. As a lot of us know, our metabolism slows down with age. According to Prevention.com, the average woman gains 1.5 pounds a year during her adult life — enough to pack on 40-plus pounds (about 18kg) by her 50s. And that is if she doesn’t have to deal with hormonal issues, pregnancy weight gain, muscle loss, and stress.
Weight gain, like a lot of things in life can be inevitable. It’s how we deal with it that is important. Keeping our metabolism going as much as possible is key.
Here are the best 5 ways to keep your calories burning all day long:
- Exercise: Exercising in the morning doesn’t just keep you awake, but the best part of exercising in the morning is that it helps to boost your metabolism. Studies have shown that people who exercise in the morning burn more calories than those who exercise at other times of the day. So, get out your gym shoes and set your alarm for an earlier start to your day for that added calorie burn.
- Add intensity: Simple, intense short 2.5-minute bursts of exercise can lead to an increased calorie burn. Not sure what to do? Check out this intense 7-minute workout that will help you burn extra calories fast.
- Eat breakfast: Whatever you do, don’t skip breakfast just because you don’t have time. Make the time! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it’s said for good reason. Eating in the morning helps keep your body at its metabolism-boosting best. Eat a filling breakfast helps you keep full and gives you adequate energy to burn those calories throughout the day. These healthy breakfast ideas are great to start off your day!
- Muscle up: While doing your cardio is important, don’t forget to add in your strength training because that not only tones you and makes you stronger, but it also helps builds calorie burning muscles too.
- Midmorning snack: Snacking isn’t all that bad for you. In fact, snacking is good for maintaining weight. However, it’s ensuring that your snacks are healthy and that fill you up to see you through. Choose healthy snacks if you’re feeling peckish or these foods and drinks for an extra boost for your metabolism to keep you burning calories all day long.